Monday, January 24, 2011

3-Minute Rally! A Conversation with Alister Walker









Behind the scenes at this year's Tournament of Champions, I sat down with Alister Walker following his 1st round victory over Wael El Hindi. Over tea and biscuits (chocolate-chip cookies), we spoke of his recent move to New York City, the theater, and his recent comments on England Squash.

Robert White: You’re a New Yorker now!

Alister Walker: Yes! Living up in Harlem!

RW: Talk about the move – was it you wanting a change of pace, a lifestyle change, something else- something spiritual?

AW: I don’t know that I can put it all down to spiritual reasons, but it was certainly a case where I wasn’t happy. I left Botswana where I was born and lived until I was fifteen, then moved to England - my dad’s English, so I’ve always had a great affinity for England. I’m a citizen – I’m a national, but it’s never really been home to me. So I felt I need a change where I could be stimulated mentally and physically, and New York City made too much sense. I’m living with my cousin in Harlem, and Harlem has a lot to offer and suits me – there’s a huge African heritage there, and I love the cultures and being able to eat all of that delicious food! New York City made sense, but Harlem makes even better sense.

RW: Any similarities between Botswana and Harlem?

AW: Well not right now - it’s freezing cold right now! (laughter) Ask me in the summer and I might give you a totally different answer! But, just to walk down the street and hear African people and see the way they laugh and that sense of humor, yeah, there’s things about Harlem that’s quite homely.

RW: And in terms of squash, does this move to NYC represents a jumpstart or re-boot, so to speak, of your squash career?

AW: Well, it coincides with the new year nicely, and I’ve been able to put a few things that bothered me last year behind me, and being able to be some place new, with new energy – so, we’ll see! In terms of training, it’s great - there’s enough players here to get a good hit with, and there’s always top players from the Tour coming through the city quite regularly. I think people in Europe, for a long time now, though that you’d move to the States when you finish your career - you know, you sort of wind down and you ‘re looking to get into coaching – but that’s certainly not the case for me. So, I’m in a situation where I may be the first to move here with, what some would say, are my best squash years coming up.

RW: The City has a lot of distractions- how are you dealing with those?

AW: Well, I like to go out and have a god time, but I’m not the type of personality to go out partying or drinking through the night. But, truthfully, I do need to get out and spend more time away from squash circles! The music scene’s unbelievable up in Harlem! – and in all of the city, obviously. So it’ll be nice to be able to enjoy myself socially, without doing anything detrimental to the squash - listening to live music and things like that.

RW: What’s better? Broadway or the West End?

AW: (laughter and a long pause) To be honest, I love them both! But I’m not going to be diplomatic (laughter) - I am going to choose one, so I’d say the West End still for me. But to be honest, I haven’t sampled enough of the Broadway theater district, so I might have to get back to you. I think it’ll be tough to beat the London Theater with how old it is and how much history there is in those theaters.

RW: Switching gears now, you made headlines a few weeks back when you made some strong comments on squash development in the UK. It didn’t seem to me to be mean-spirited, but rather stated matter-of-factly, but it drew some attention. (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/squash/8209526/England-Squash-lacks-integrity-and-barely-deserve-world-champion-Nick-Matthew-says-US-bound-Alister-Walker.html)

AW: Well, certainly, a lot of people obviously don’t like what I said, but a lot of people do like what I said very much. And simply put, I don’t want to be a part of it, but I wish them all the best.

RW: And I’ve seen you interacting with the English players this week- you seem to have remained very close to them.

AW: Yes, all of the players - I have good relations with them still. And the coaches I get along with. So you know, not much has changed. I just don’t want to be a part of the program. I thought they handled some things poorly, and I hope they don’t make those mistakes again.

RW: You singled out Nick Matthew in your comments…

AW: I gave him some props!

RW: You guys are very close friends.

AW: Yes, Nick and I get on well. Obviously, I’ve learned some stuff from him over the years, and he’s learned an awful lot from me! (laughter)

RW: I’m sure he’ll the same! Or the exact opposite!

AW: Joking aside, he had an amazing year last year. He won the PSA player of the year in 2010 – and deservedly so - I don’t think anyone can argue with that. It was his time, and it still is his time. He’s still the player to beat. You can’t fault the guy- because he’s been working hard his whole career since he’s been a young boy in the juniors, and it’s all come together at the right time.

RW: Is it harder to play him? You guys may meet in the 2nd round this year.

AW: Yes, it definitely is. I once read that he said it’s a bit like a marriage...which I found a strange parallel (laughter). But it’s definitely something there that is different when you play your mates. And while you respect all of your opponents, when you see somebody train day in day out, and you been part of it as we have for each other for a few years now, there’s a sort of understanding of one another which make it more difficult. But, we’re big boys, we put that aside as soon as we step on the court.

RW: You mentioned coaching earlier – will you do any coaching here in the city?

AW: Not totally. I’m currently focusing on my game. There’ll come a time, obviously, when I’ll do some coaching, but it’s not going to be a primary part of my life. But there will be a little bit going on.

RW: I had a great time talking with you- all the best!

AW: Thanks, mate!

No comments:

Post a Comment