Tuesday, January 25, 2011

3-Minute Rally! A Conversation with Ramy Ashour









I chatted briefly with Ramy Ashour, the former world #1 and top seed at this year's Tournament of Champions, following his match against David Palmer - a win in four games. We spoke about his health, his brother Hisham's play of late, and the brothers' squash academy.

Rob White: How are you doing physically? –

Ramy Ashour: I feel better, but not 100% for sure. It was a good match I think. David's giving it all, and I too. I'm very happy for the win. And I have confidence now to play in the semi-finals for sure.

RW: Congratulations on that, and to your brother, Hisham. He lost to Peter Barker last night, but how do you feel about his resurgence?

RA: I’m very happy for him! If he keeps going this way, he can reach the top 10 – easily! He just has to continue to train as hard as he’s been doing these days and stay disciplined with that. And you know, keep the confidence up.

RW: I know you’ve been asked this a thousand times, but what’s it like having a brother that’s a world class squash player like yourself?

RA: Yes, thank you. That’s why we don’t have coaches now. (laughter) We’re each other’s coach. We’re pushing each other, training together, doing drills together - we’re changing our squash. We both know a lot about squash from our experiences. We’ve seen a lot of it and been through a lot of things on the court. And back home, we have a supportive squash community and everyone just loves the game from a very young age, in all the clubs - squash is a national game, so that support makes you focus and appreciate the game of squash and want to give it your all. Me and my brother push each other out of love for each other and for the game.

RW: It’s obvious that you both love the game by your play on the court. But you’re showing your love for the game off the court as well - what’s going on with the Academy?

RA: Yes, thank you for mentioning that. It’s coming. We’re holding it back a little bit - now with the travel, it’s kind of hard. But there’s still work going on with it. Hopefully when we finish this period, we’ll be able to go back and start it up.

RW: Why is this important to you- an academy?

RA: Well, it’s a turning point in both of our lives. We have a big responsibility – it’s something we must do. We’ve been dreaming about this since we were kids, and if we succeed in doing this the way we want, it’ll be special. We want to teach younger kids – give them all of the tips and drills to be great squash players.

RW: Not a lot of athletes, in any sport, do this while in the middle of their careers -

RA: Well, it’s a personal thing. And squash is something my brother and I do very well, and it’s our way of giving back. Squash is all we know and have. We can’t work in anything else but squash! (laughter) I wasn’t very successful with my education, so…

RW: Come on! You’d work as a track star- there'd be no Usain Bolt, just Ramy!

RA: No way! (laughter)

RW: What would you be doing if you didn’t have squash?

RA: Man, I honestly don’t know. I’m thankful – so thankful to God for having squash and for being able to perform at this level. And to keep striving – man, I’m just very thankful for the game - not just for me, but everyone around me and associated with the game. Everyone that’s given me their time and effort and support – my parents, my manager, my brother - everyone! The promoters – John Nimick has done such an amazing good job here with this wonderful tournament – they’re trying to take the game to a new level. And, of course, my sponsor, Ziad Al-Turki - the guy is doing a huge effort trying to raise the game. Everyone’s trying to raise the game – I’m so thankful for it all!

RW: Talk a bit more about the future - any Egyptian superstar juniors in the pipeline?

RA: Man, we have a lot! We have bags of juniors! (laughter) No, really, bags of them! It’s amazing how kids just go on court and are doing tricks without learning them – they just come up with it naturally!

RW: Not naturally – they see you and your brother do what you do on the court!

RA: No, no, thank you - I don’t think so – I think it’s in the genes! (laughter)

RW: This has been a pleasure – best of luck going forward, Ramy!

RA: Thank you so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment