Saturday, January 22, 2011

3-Minute Rally! A Conversation with Amr Shabana

I caught up with Amr Shabana, a two-time winner of the Tournament of Champions, as he was watching Day 1 action from this year's tournament.

Rob White: Talking to you makes me recall your watch against Alister Walker last year and of, course, that you’re a two-time winner here - what is it about New York City that brings out your best?

Amr Shabana: Well, for sure, there’s a lot of positive energy in New York City and in the Tournament as well. It’s the first big major of the year – played in Grand Central Station which is such a monumental place with so much history. And so many people come by the court every day. The American crowd loves their squash, and of course, I’ve won the tournament twice, so it’s very easy to play here.

RW: You’re a veteran of the tour - talk about the challenges of staying at the top as you’ve done.

AS: It’s all about getting your mind and body in check. I was unlucky the last couple years with injuries that put me out for most of thepast two seasons. My knees, slipped disc in my back – it’s been a terrible last two years for me. But I feel my body is coming around again and I’m able to perform now how I want to perform. So everybody has to watch out now! (laughter)

RW: I hear that! Talk some more about New York City – do you find time to enjoy yourself here?

AS: Yeah, it’s a great deal that you can “switch off” after your match and find so much to do here. I have my wife here with me this year – she came with me back in 2007 and now she’s back with me again. So we’ll shop a bit, eat well, go sightseeing – it’s a great city.

RW: And does your wife here watching you provide added pressure when you play? It does for me when my wife watches me!

AS: Well, you’re more focused for sure. Simply having her here to take care of little things for me – make sure I eat , for example, and just take care of me. It’s always a pleasure to have her watch me play!

RW: One last question – what are your thoughts on the scoring format at the World Series Final last week?

AS: I think the format works better, definitely, when you have to play matches every day. Obviously, when you have the top eight players in the world, it’s asking a lot for the crowd to sit through four best of five matches over that amount of time. Best of three makes it fast and exciting – I think it was the right format to use for the top eight and the PSA should stick with that in that 8-man format going forward.

RW: Thanks for your time, Amr!

No comments:

Post a Comment