Tuesday, January 25, 2011

3-Minute Rally! A Conversation with Gilly Lane












I was able to track down Gilly Lane as he was dashing to the airport to head to Detroit for the Motor City Open PSA Tournament. Gilly was defeated in the qualifying draw at this year's Tournament of Champions by Chris Ryder. Gilly and I spoke about the loss, his mental approach to the game, and his development going forward.


Rob White: G-Lane!

Gilly Lane: Hey, how’s it going!

RW: Are you going to be able to get out with the snow?

GL: We got nothing here in Philly!

RW: Lucky you! Though I guess that’s something you have to deal with on the regular – delays and such.

GL: Yeah, its kind of one delay after another – inclement weather, broken down plane, just usual in the life of an athlete. It’s just one of the things you just learn to do – having been on the tour for four years now, you get kind of used to having these types of things being thrown your way. The first year you learn how to deal with them - you go through your routine and then something throws it off, and you learn to adjust. And over the years, you get used to it - weather delay, match delayed for whatever reason – you just have to be ready for anything and everything. All of the guys are used to spending so much time in airports, we’re used to dealing with it all at this point.

RW: We missed you at the TOC this year – what happened there?

GL: Well, you know, Chris (Ryder) played really well. You know, he’s been having a lot of good results lately- he's had some good wins lately. He just went five games with Razik and almost made the 2nd round this year. He’s a good player – I kept him on court for 54 minutes, so it was good. He played really well, and sometimes you just have to tip your hat to the guy and say he was much better on that day and well played, and you learn from it and move on.

RW: That’s a very mature attitude to have. That’s something we all should learn – sometimes the other guy is just better that day.

GL: Yeah, exactly. I’m pretty tough on myself- the hardest person on myself is me and sometimes that’s actually a negative in terms of moving forward. But you have to accept that on some days, guys are just going to be better and you can’t beat yourself up over it. It’s definitely one of the things I constantly work on because I consider myself a very competitive person. So, trying to take those losses and turn them into positives is important to me. And at these tournaments, especially the Tournament of Champions, you’re getting the best of the best. You’re playing the best players in the world, on the biggest stage in the world. Everybody’s coming to play – there are no easy matches. You learn from the loss and use it for future tournaments.

RW: Well said. You’re a Philly guy!

GL: UPENN!!

RW: UPENN – great school. Do you go back and visit the school, the squash program, and coaches?

GL: Yeah, I’m actually now part-time assistant and helping out with the squash program. So, I’m helping with the recruiting, and getting the players in the right frame of mind before they play - I’m at the matches when I’m around. Of course, playing is my number one objective; I’m still around the team and program quite a bit.

RW: That’s great. I spoke with Ramy about the Academy he and Hisham are starting back in Egypt and they have their own reasons for doing that. I think it’s a great thing- a selfless thing, especially when you guys are still in the prime of your squash lives- to give back in some way. It’s a great way to honor the game.

GL: Thank you. Absolutely. That’s very important to me. And for me, specifically, I had such a great experience in college at Penn. I love the place so much, and now I have an opportunity to give back and kind of maybe make a mark, or a difference, in the program. I’d like nothing more than for the guys to have the same experience I had at the school. I had a great four years – I loved every second of it! And being part of a college team is also great as well. I want everyone to have the same experience I had.

RW: How’s the training going- you’re recovering from an injury? And what do feel you have to do to break through to the next level?

GL: Well, I had an early taste of success. Broke into the top 50 early – had a career win against Peter Barker, who, at the time, was world #7. But that was just one match - I have to string a few more together. Lately, I’ve had the hamstring issue from September to December, so coming back from that. I was in Amsterdam and training five hours a day, five days a week and it’s given me my base for how I train now. Now I’m working with John White – he’s my new coach - and I’m trying to take knowledge from what he’s accomplished – and he’s done a lot, obviously – he got to World #1. So, trying to implement things he’s taught me into my game. And you know, sometimes you‘ve got to take a few steps backward to go forward –

RW: Tell me about it!

GL: (laughter) - and I think that’s kind of the process I’m in now. I’m ranked #59 now, and that’s not a negative thing. I'm looking forward to continue working with John and seeing where I’ll be six months from now. He’s been there and done that, and I'm just taking everything he has to say in and using it in my game.

RW: Where do you get this maturity and level-headedness from?

GL: Well, my parents brought me up well – I think they taught me well! (laughter)

RW: I think they’ve done a great job. I appreciate you taking the time before you head out to Detroit! Safe travels and best of luck there and down the road!

GL: Thanks a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment